translate and define words all without having to install any application from a third Developer.
the function of which I am speaking, one that probably already know many but surely many others desconoceréis, is called simply dictionary . This dictionary will enable us, once activated, to select words, its meaning, and if we have other languages, translate them. Sounds good, no? Then I will explain how to use this perfect function for which we read Web sites or documents in more languages than in our native tongue.
translate and define words in iOS is very simple
by default, and if I remember correctly, iOS has installed the dictionary for the language you configure on your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad to we can define the words of our language without having to configure anything. “In any case, as we are also interested in the translation of words, we will see that this is so, and add new languages to the dictionary following these steps:
- open the iPhone settings application.
- play in General.
- we move down and played in English.
- here to see a list of available dictionaries. The choice is to taste of the consumer. As you can see in the screenshot, I am Spanish, Spanish, American English dictionaries and the Apple dictionary. Logically, you can add all you want, but if you add many can be confusing, especially when a Word is the same in two different languages despite having a different meaning. In any case, the results is well explained which dictionary has been used for each definition or translation.
must be taken into account between the available dictionaries there is normal, i.e., telling us which means a Word, other bidirectional that help us to translate to a language and also says that you can translate and define expressions, which is especially interesting for translating groups of two or more words in another language. The theory says that one can also translate phrases, but personally is something that I have not seen myself by not having never needed.
how to translate or define the words
once activated, use this function is very simple. “We will only have to do the following:
- select the word or phrase to be translated or define. Logically, we can only do this if the text selection. This said it there are documents that do not allow us to select text, so we can not use this function from them. Yes, you can select it in text editors and many (not all) web pages. If we want to consult does not allow selection, one solution is to write the word in the Notes application and make the next step from there.
- with the selected word, the options will appear. We have to select ‘Consult’. Definitions and translations which will depend on the dictionaries that you have selected from the iPhone settings will automatically appear. “
define words with Siri
this function is very interesting and we will be able to use it even in the Apple Watch. I’d like to also use it to translate words, but this is not possible, at least at the time of writing this post. To define a Word with Siri, will only have to ask for it so for the best and shortest is telling “Defines” followed by the word to define. Siri can understand other requests, such as “what is the meaning of…” or “what it means…”. As a calculating, converting units and other similar questions, the best for those who have Apple Watch is certainly ask him to watch, what will prevent that we have to make the iPhone from your pocket. As data, and although it has much to do with the iPhone, Siri’s Apple TV version does not include this possibility.
do you know how to translate and define words with your iPhone? And most importantly, no third-party applications?