new times are changing and with it instruments used in navigation especially since electronics broke intensively.»
we have to go up to the appearance of the NMEA standards which allowed to concentrate dispersed information on a single screen from every one of the components of the on-board electronics (slide, wind, depth sounder, radar, position equipment), regardless of the manufacturer or the model
subsequently the appearance of other elements such as the AIS(Automatic Identification System) , GPS and HD plotters have led us to use new tools and devices to present all navigational AIDS information through a PC with software mapping applications scanned or vectorized (as OziExplorer, Navionics or Tsunamis), showing us thanks to the NMEA standard, the information that we had distributed in the various electronic devices installed on board.
currently the majority of boaters have passed paper cards read on the computer (and the compass) the mouse and slide to the GPS, but still plays assimilate the next step : integrate all the navigation tools on our mobile devices.
today in day helped geolocation systems of an internet connection have revolutionized transportation, so that with a smartphone or tablet can have at our disposal, in a multi-device at very low cost, all the information that only a few years ago could obtain using fairly complex and expensive electronics so that with the evolution and development of the Android tablets , electronics needs and its usefulness in vessels has meant a change in the habits of many navigators, gaining more importance tablet as the main element to contain the information that is needed for navigation
the nautical applications on the market that we are going to see some require an Internet connection , but many others offer the option of working without coverage, using signals of GPS positioning or the internal sensors (accelerometer or compass)
see a sample of some of the applications used: safety
free app search and rescue is also essential between nautical applications.
rescue maritime . With this mobile application, we obtain information and guidance on issues related to marine security. For example, it offers the possibility to perform a series of checks to see if we are complying with points of security we need to fulfill before sailing. From tips and all kinds of information for navigators, to lists to control the essential points of safety before the navigation.
this application allows recreational boaters to salvage to monitor his crossing and that the alarm in case of failure to comply with the established navigation plan.
50% of incidents which serves rescue, are of pleasure boats.
SafeTrx is a Smartphone application, both for Android like Apple devices iOS (iPhone, iPad), which monitors your boat trips, warns contacts designated by the user when there are delays in the planned trip and offers a web page so search and rescue can consult quickly the defeat by the boat and take appropriate action.
this application complements the global system of relief and maritime security.
in recent years, we have seen how some applications that help us to identify the vessels have appeared. It is applications that use AIS Automatic Identification System () . Thanks to this system we can know the identity, course, position and more data on those boats that are located in the area close to where we find.
typically this was done via VHF radio systems, but now thanks to an internet connection you can override its mission with applications as MarineTrafic,
- more marine Traffic Ship Position Reporting: this App based on Google Maps, allows us to send and view real time information from the AIS signal. So just we need to have access to an internet connection, and thanks to the support of Google Maps, ships anywhere in the world can be displayed. To emit the signal it is necessary to have a connection to the Internet, this issue of signal there to stop it to reach Earth.
- Ship Finder – Live vessel tracking: with this App can also get the information about all vessels located in the selected area. There is a free version and another more complete payment.
applications nautical weather
all boaters are pending from the weather forecast. Today we have real time access to data on the evolution of basic indicators in meteorology, as well as forecasts. In the universe of applications there are a lot of tools that will help us to know the conditions of wind and forecast rain in great detail .
- WeatherPRO HD is an application made by Meteogrup which offers a prognosis one week view, in three hour intervals more than two million places, with radar images and real-time satellite. There are different versions, free and paid. Depending on what you want to pay, we will obtain a type of information or another.
- WinFinderPRO for sailing sports fans is an essential application. Wind, waves and weather forecast s on the main attractions of this app. Its use is quite similar to the WeatherPRO, with the possibility of having our list of favorites. It has a free version, but the PRO version is very economical (€1.79)
- PocketGrib : this app makes it possible to visualize all the meteorological data in a forecast of up to eight day s, with a high level of success in the wind forecasts. His brother designed for PC-based uGRib (www.grib.us) allows to see all meteorological data with a forecast of up to eight days. Select directly on the display the area on which we want to obtain the forecast, and it shows graphically the wind forecasts with a high precision and a high degree of success. Cost about € 6
- WindGuru : it is a well known application for boaters between the nautical applications, which shows graphically and very quick estimates of wind and temperature in the zone that you select, with a high degree of reliability. Cost: free
- Eltiempo.es : the well known website of Jose Antonio Maldonado has their APP, with a panoramic view, hour-by-hour basis, of winds, waves and temperatures in the area of navigation that you select, with some graphic data of great accuracy.
- rain Alarm : using this APP, you can receive is the using corresponding visos alerts, those rains approaching, with animated images on the weather around the world.
uses nautical geolocation
- Boating Navionics app, is the nautical cartography best-selling in the world app, and offers all possibilities to plan routes with ease and convenience, and compatibility with Google Earth and other applications of meteorology. There is a HD version with more features. It can be used without internet connection, if previously to downloaded the cards. This version is free
- Navionics HD: Navionics is the most demanded and sold all over the world mapping software. It has been a great evolution since its inception, allowing you to use the Tablet as a real plot, with the advantages of power to move it around the boat and even plan routes or view information from anywhere. The HD version has a precision awesome and integrates with Google Earth and Grib files of meteorology, as well as information in real time from near our location services (marine, mechanical, restaurants…). Its use is very simple and not requieRe nothing more than install the App and start browsing. You can work offline, loading the cards previously.
With the initial purchase of the license (€50), the user has the right to continuously update the software versions and nautical charts.
Google Earth : implementation of the search giant in Internet can not miss. Precisely, you can display the route to follow, as well as precise pictures of the place. Some of the other App is integrated with Google earth. You can not miss.
- Gabenative is another nautical application to many sailing fans tend to have installed, and it is really useful to help us to stand in the middle of the sea.
- Polaris GPS navigation turns a phone into a powerful GPS navigation system for general use with Polaris Navigation GPS. Mainly used as a GPS navigation and trace application, Polaris is an excellent backup or replacement for your Garmin or another portable GPS satellite navigation unit!
- Antigarreo a tool to help us in the anchorage, one of the variables influencing the serenity of the boat is the grip. With this application, the Navigator will receive necessary alerts so the boat do not leave your space of borneo.
- Bearing Pilot : this is an application to avoid delays in the navigation, provide directions, and eliminate the risk of collisions, calculations of directions of wind, maintenance management, etc. A new tool for both sailing beginners and the most professional, its extreme simplicity will allow us to take bearings quickly, showing in its graphic interface address of the delay that we have taken, the angle to our course and we will also indicate to that band must fall to bow to such delay. It has a cost of €7
- Vaavud : this app uses a device of water resistant plastic, dust and sand. Connected to the audio jack to measure the wind speed in a precise manner in all directions, current speeds, averages, etc. Vaavud buy online directly on the page of the manufacturer (vaavud.com) € 40. It allows very accurate and reliably measure the speed of the wind in any direction, turning our device iPhone or Android into a small meteorological station. Also, using the free App from Vaavud, we can see measurements of the wind speed of other registered users in other locations. The device can accurately measure the speed of the wind in a range of 1 m/s to 25 m/s, and it has been tested and professionally calibrated in a tunnel of wind at the Technical University of Denmark.
- NMEA Remote: this App works through a wireless modem serial port that must be previously installed, and acts as a relay of data from the boat.
- Marinus Ripa : Marinus Ripa provides the international regulation of the prevention of collisions, a permanent update, and all the basic information security a good Navigator should know. In addition, you can get also an iBook iPad format version book of high definition.
- MoonPreview: with this app, it is possible to know the lunar cycle and the State of the moon night which is planned the anchoring of the boat. Ideal for trips of pleasure and contemplation of the celestial dome.
- Useful knots: for every need there is a distinct variety of knot. This App teaches us and remember, step by step, the correct way to perform up to a hundred different knots, according to their types and utilities. There is a paid version of, with high definition, but also other free.
without a doubt there are a huge number of apps impossible in number in this post, but if there is any app for the Android platform that is interesting and not in this post we’d like to share it with the rest of the community of soloelectronicos.